Thursday, April 19, 2007

162)Personal musings and the facts about Abu Ali Ibn Sina.

The Heritage F.I.E.L.D. Ismaili Net website, an extremely extensive website, had this information on its main page today about a remarkable figure in Islamic and Ismaili history, Abu Ali Sina(aka Avicenna to his followers in Europe):

http://www.ismaili.net/html/index.php (the April 19th 2007 main page)

The above site also links to two other sites to give a detailed accounting of Ibn Sina's contributions to Islamic Philosophy, Medicine, Cosmology and other fields:

http://www.ismaili.net/hero/h0005.html

http://www.ismaili.net/hero/hero14.html



The Institute of Ismaili Studies also put up some information on Ibn Sina and other intellectuals from Ismailism's past:

http://www.iis.ac.uk/view_article.asp?ContentID=106512


My link to the F.I.E.L.D. Heritage Ismaili Net website is historic and momentous and I appreciate very much that they allow me to cross post whatever I write on my personal blog onto the Doctrines section of their extensive and comprehensive website. My desire to start a personal blog was inspired by the Wednesday, June 8th 2005 farman made by Mowlana Hazar Imam in Toronto, Ontario, Canada(morning session), in which he uttered these pearls of wisdom:

".....Our interpretation of Islam places enormous value on knowledge. Knowledge is the reflection of faith if it is used properly. Seek out that knowledge and use it properly...."(see blogpost no. 19).

I began my blog on March 16th 2006 on the Heritage F.I.E.L.D. Ismaili Net website and started this Google blogger site in December 2006, archiving all my earlier posts onto the new Google site.

Ever since I began my post-secondary studies at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada in September 1973, I began to develop a keen interest in the natural world and the universe around us and in which we live, move and have our being. I tried to see if there could be a connection between the science I was learning and the religion I was born into. It was only after the Institute of Ismaili Studies was well established and started putting out top rated publications that I was able to read some of their material and make the clear connection between science(what is the universe made up of?, how does it operate?) and Ismaili Islam. It turned out to be an epiphany for me which occured in the Medical Science library of McMaster University, a place which has now become a shrine of intellectual pilgrimage for me. I was later sidetracked for 20 years by a career in family medicine but, as fate would have it, I was able to return to my first love 5 years ago, for which I am deeply grateful to the " Soul that sustains, embraces and is the Universe"(Aga Khan III).

easynash

Islam, eminently logical, placing the greatest emphasis on knowledge, purports to understand God's creation:Aga Khan 4.
The God of the Quran is the One whose Ayats(Signs) are the Universe in which we live, move and have our being:Aga Khan 3